Friday, February 8, 2008

Burwell Morgan Grist Mill

Duration: 08:04 minutes
Upload Time: 2007-11-28 15:24:17
User: kalacaw
:::: Favorites
:::: Top Videos of Day
Tags:

virginia  history  mill  millwood  burwell  morgan  grist  wheat  corn  flour  water  waterwheel  rube  goldberg  

Description:

During the first two weeks of my journey through the quiet town of Millwood, in the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, I slowly became aware that I could not simply make a video about the Grist Mill, then "call it a day." The history of the mill is the history of Millwood. I would have to do the whole town, or at least as much as possible. Millwood is a story, but not only of the business partnership between Gen. Daniel Morgan and Col. Nathaniel Burwell. Hessian prisioners-of-war built the mill out of native limestone, and other structures in the area as well. The founding of Millwood is their story. African-American slaves ran the mill -- at one point twenty-four hours per day, seven days per week. Many of their descendents live in Millwood today. Millwood, then, is their generational story. Millwood is undoubtedly part of my story, albeit in a smaller way. As a native Virginian with multi-generational ties to Alexandria and throughout the Commonwealth, I am certain that my ancestors consumed products originating from Millwood. Because it reached the West Indies and European markets; the Burwell Morgan Grist Mill, and Millwood, Virginia, may be part of your family's story as well. GLARING ERROR REPORT: There are captions in the beginning reading "seed hopper," and "scooping seed." What a throwback to my former life! He was scooping milled product, not seed! I used to work in a nature store, and sold bird seed for backyard birdfeeding. That was a big part of my life, and I guess I'll always be thinking about bird seed. I think that happened as a result of including the Easter Bluebird Nesting Box pictures. They took my mind back to another time. :) Associated WordPress Blog: http://kalacaw.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/burwell-morgan-grist-mill/

Comments

kalacaw ::: Favorites  2007-12-22 05:40:56

Huey/Jake/Larry: Merry! Happy Holidays even! :D
__________________________________________________
oneiblind30 ::: Favorites  2007-12-21 17:04:21

Merry Christmas!
__________________________________________________
kalacaw ::: Favorites  2007-12-20 23:31:16

I'm sorry! I just realized this was here! I think we have the makings of a good friendship too! :)
__________________________________________________
AtomicUs5000 ::: Favorites  2007-12-19 15:21:38

I could tell... I eman they really kept things the same... right down to child labor, lmao. Just messing around. I think it was great.
__________________________________________________
kalacaw ::: Favorites  2007-12-19 10:47:10

Oh Bill, thanks for your kind comment! This is the first time I've made a video like this, and I want to do more. The millers were wonderful and very generous with their time in explaining everything. They're very dedicated to the preservation of the history of this mill and of milling. :)
__________________________________________________

Other Video Blog Entries

海峡论坛:台湾选举"奥步"面面观
African cichlid 7-11-2007
MV 《惡作劇2吻》~ 幸福合作社
Ung Hoang Phuc - Va Nhu The Em Di (Karaoke)
VOA时事大家谈20071126


 

No comments: